Monday, March 7, 2011

Kale Salad


Kale Salad
1 bunch kale (dinosaur, red or green leaf—whatever your preference) stripped off the stems and chopped very fine.
1 bunch chard (rainbow is pretty), stripped off stems and chopped fine
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 cup finely chopped green cabbage
1 cup finely chopped red cabbage
½ cup chopped or shredded carrots
1 red bell pepper, chopped into our favorite shape-I like small strips
3 finely minced green onions (certainly optional)
A handful of additional greens:  I like thin sliced pak choi, thinly sliced fennel, chinese cabbage, arugula, cilantro, or watercress.  The arugula, cilantro and watercress are all strong flavors so I would pick just one  of these “additional greens”  to add.
This is my basic “mix” that I double and keep in a Ziploc for salad all week.  What is wonderful about this is because it is just dark greens, I can also add a handful to soups or stir-fry  it with garlic and olive oil for a side dish. 
When serving as a salad, I may add fresh tomatoes, kalamata olives, or mushrooms if I have them.

Basic Dressing
2 tablespoons lemon juice (approx.)
½ cup olive oil
1 clove garlic finely minced
1 tablespoon shoyu or to taste (I use more)
Dash salt
Blend well!  Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan or nutritional yeast .

I also have an Asian (sesame oil) style dressing I’ll use sometimes too...

No comments:

Post a Comment